Monday, December 17, 2007

How much segregation?

I do not favor segregation across the board. In no way, shape, or form do I want to separate the races from each other. I think it's a shame that Asians have found it necessary to segregate from the rest of us. But it may be that Chinatowns are the way to go.

What I want to see is the non-hypocritical allowance of segregation if a given community wants it. It's happening anyway: Spanish Harlem, Black Harlem, Chinatown, even Little Italy, the Russian enclave (Brighton Beach?). In Jersey City, NJ, we see a full and thriving Indian community.

Why not allow the whites their own neighborhood; one which they don't have to surreptitiously maintain at the risk of lawsuits. I wouldn't live there but I must respect their right to live in a manner that they find most agreeable with their sentiments. Under no circumstances do we insist that workplace segregation take place. Education and the workplace must remain integrated but, the neighborhood? The home environment should extend to the neighborhood if the the people of the community in question want it that way. We shouldn't fear these segregated neighborhoods any more than we fear Chinatown or any other segregation. Personally, I doubt very much that because Whites are a majority that they will all opt to live segregated. I am white and I don't want that kind of life.

No comments: